All City of Albuquerque police officer employees, with the
exception of Rehires, participate
in the Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA). The opportunity to retire with 90% of your top pay and the ability to retire after 25 years of dedicated service.
- Take Home Car Program
All police officers that successfully complete one year probation, will be issued a patrol vehicle
for their use during working hours. Officers must live within the boundaries established by the Chief of Police.
- College Incentive
Police officers who have degrees, will receive the following
additional pay incentive. There are two pay periods per month.
Officers will be paid for only one degree at the highest academic
- Bachelor’s degree $135.00 per month ($1620.00
- Master’s degree $160.00 per month ($1920.00
- PHD $185.00 per month ($2,220.00 annually)
Police officers who work the following shifts will receive shift
differential pay. There are two pay periods per month.
- Swing Shift $25.00 per month ($300.00 annually)
- Graveyard $50.00 per month ($600.00 annually)
Police officers who want to participate in the bilingual pay
program must pass an oral examination, written examination or
both in the particular language.
- Upon passing written and oral proficiency exam $50.00 per
month ($600.00 annually)
- Upon passing oral proficiency exam $20.00 per month
Police officers who are assigned to these Units will receive
the following additional pay incentive.
- Pilots $50.00 per month ($600.00 annually)
- Bomb Squad $50.00 per month ($600.00 annually)
- Aerial Observer $50.00 per month ($600.00 annually)
- Motorcycle Officers $50.00 per month ($600.00 annually)
- S.W.A.T $50.00 per month ($600.00 annually)
- Crisis Negotiation Team officers $50.00 per month ($600.00
- Crisis Intervention Team officers $50.00 per month
- Horse Mounted Unit $50.00 per month ($600.00 annually)
- Field Training Officers $100.00 per month ($1200.00
Legal holidays for police officers shall be as follows:
- New Year’s Day
- Martin Luther King’s Birthday
- President’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Veteran’s Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Day After Thanksgiving
- Christmas Day
Police officers shall receive holiday pay at straight time
at their hourly rate for either 8 or 10 hours based on their
normal work shift for all holidays not worked. In the event
a police officers is required to work on a holiday, and
does not exercise an option to take a floating holiday,
he/she shall be paid holiday pay as mentioned above, plus
time-and-one-half (1 and ½) for the first 8 hours
if on a normal work shift of 10 hours, plus 2 hours straight
A police officer may float any or all of the holidays mentioned
in the above listed paragraph. A floating holiday is one
that the employee may convert to vacation either eight (8)
or ten (10) hours per holiday depending on their normal
workday anytime after the actual holiday has occurred. A
floating holiday can also be used as an additional vacation
day if used within the same pay period of the holiday.
will be entitled to overtime compensation at the rate of time-and-one-half
(1 and ½) of their regular straight time pay rate when
they perform work in excess of forty (40) hours in any one workweek.
will be entitled to be compensated at 1 and ½ times the
officer’s rate of pay or in the form of compensatory time.
Compensatory time will be computed at the rate of 1 and ½
times the hours actually worked.You have the opportunity to earn 150 hours of compensation
Medical, Hospitalization and Dental Insurance
The City of Albuquerque provides a number of group medical,
hospitalization and dental plans that officers can choose from.
Vacation Leave Accrual
Vacation leave will accrue for police officers as follows:
Sick Leave Accrual
- 1 Month to 5 Years 8 hours/month or 12.5 days/year
- 5 Years, 1 Month to 10 Years 10 hours/month or 15 days/year
- 10 Years, 1 Month to 15 Years 12 hours/month or 18 days/year
- 15 Years, 1 Month and over 13 hours/month or 20 days/year
Sick leave will accrue for police officers as follows:
Albuquerque Police Officer Association, (APOA)
Tuition Assistance and Educational Leave
- Latino Police Officers Association, (LPOA)
- Chicano Police Officers Association, (CPOA)
- Fraternal Order of Police (FOP)
Become an Albuquerque Police Officer and you will receive:
- A great oppportunity to earn at least 25-percent above your base salary in overtime and benefits.
- The potential to earn in excess of $87,000 as a patrolman (averaged from the top 50 earning patrol officers).
- Ten paid holidays and 12.5 vacation days a year!
- The opportunity to retire with 90% of your top pay and the ability to retire after 25 years of dedicated service.
- We will pay you a $5,000 bonus for successfully joining one of the best law enforcement agencies in the country. Just successfully complete our academy and on-the-job training and the hiring bonus is yours! Call our recruiters at 1800-7police and learn about the many opportunities APD has to offer.
Police Cadet- Currently hiring for this position
This pay scale is for the duration the 25-week Academy.
Police Officer Second Class (P 2/C)
This pay scale is for one year after graduation from the Academy.
Police Officer First Class (P 1/C)
This pay scale starts one year after graduation from the Academy.
$ 25.18/hour (52,374.40/year)
|Additional Pay Incentives
|Swing Shift Differential
||add $300.00 annually
|Graveyard Shift Differential
||add $600.00 annually
||add $600.00 annually
|Specialty Unit Pay
||add $600.00 annually
|Field Training Officer
||add $1200.00 annually
|Bachelor's Degree College Incentive
||add $1620.00 annually
|Master's Degree College Incentive
||add $1920.00 annually
|PHD College Incentive
||add $2220.00 annually
$23.95/hour for first year of probation then salary same
as Officer First Class.
-CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS
- Must be 18 years of age
- Training Provided
- Must pass a background check
- Apply online or call 505-343-5020 for more information